The Aftermath of the Santa Fe Tragedy

Roberto Vivas, Staff Writer

On May 18, at around 8:00 am, a student made the decision to end his peers’ lives. After entering the school, armed with a sawed-off shotgun and .38 revolver, 17-year-old Dimitrios Pagourtzis proceeded to move through Santa Fe high school towards the art wing and a classroom filled with students. At which time, his terrorizing began. Firing off a shot to announce his presence, Pagourtzis entered the classroom from the one next door and began shooting. Once the police arrived four minutes later, a gunfight broke out until the gunman had to reload, prompting officers to begin negotiations. Pagourtzis would surrender to officers to be tried in court.

An investigator was told by Pagourtzis that “he acted alone and spared people he liked because he wanted his story told.” His actions resulted in the deaths of eight students and two substitute teachers. The eight students included Aaron Kyle McLeod, Angelique Ramirez, Kimberly Vaughn, Sabika Sheik, Chris Stone, Jared Black, Shana Fisher, and Christian Riley Garcia. The two substitute teachers were Cynthia Tisdale and Glenda Ann Perkins. Along with the casulties, there were ten injured but are being treated or have recovered. Pagoutzis acquired his guns from his father’s closet and the explosives that he had planned to use had been found after an investigation of the area and found to be nonfunctional. The maximum punishment that he could face is life in prison with the possibility of parole after forty years.

Sources:

McLaughlin, Eliott C. “Texas School Shooting: Accused Shooter’s Dad Believes Bullying behind Rampage, Paper Says.” CNN, Cable News Network, 22 May 2018, www.cnn.com/2018/05/22/us/texas-santa-fe-school-shooting/index.html.

Perez, Evan. “What We Know about Dimitrios Pagourtzis, the Alleged Santa Fe High School Shooter.” CNN, Cable News Network, 21 May 2018, www.cnn.com/2018/05/18/us/dimitrios-pagourtzis-santa-fe-suspect/index.html.

Stapleton, AnneClaire. “A Mother’s Powerful Letter about Her Child’s Experience Hiding from the Santa Fe Shooter.” CNN, Cable News Network, 19 May 2018, www.cnn.com/2018/05/19/us/santa-fe-high-school-deedra-van-ness/index.html.

Vera, Amir. “These Are the Victims of the Santa Fe High School Shooting.” CNN, Cable News Network, 22 May 2018, www.cnn.com/2018/05/18/us/texas-school-shooting-victims/index.html.