5 Steps To Overcome Your Writers Block Mayhem

Shaelyn Williams, Staff Writer

Ok so hey audience, today is January 23, 2018 and I am currently experiencing “writers block.” I typically wouldn’t share this on the website although when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. With that being said, I’m going to share my thoughts with you all as we may have experienced the same exact feeling. The true definition of writers block is “the condition of being unable to think of what to write about or how to proceed with writing.” While is seems easy to overcome, we all know this feeling can last for hours. This feeling is inevitable as all writers have and will experience this. So if you have ever went through the infamous feeling of “writers block” don’t beat yourself up about, especially not after I share some tips on ways to overcome this feeling.

Step 1: Eliminate distractions

When I write I’m usually in my schools library, although a library should be quite, mine did not quite meet the expectations. We have students in and out every 30 minutes for lunch changes, and not every student understands what an “inside voice” is. To eliminate the distractions of my noisy peers, I plug in my headphones and turn my playlist on, and yes the volume is at max. Music is honestly my favorite way to eliminate distractions, as the right song can take you places. Places like out of this world, I can go from an empty mind to a famous author publishing my first book. So if you’re anything like me, constantly in the middle of noise, I suggest you stock up on playlists, grab your headphones and zone out. If this does not work I’m sure there are other methods to try when it comes to eliminating distractions.

Step 2: Breathe in, breathe out

Instead of staring at your screen watching your curser appear and reappear, why don’t you take a step back and focus on something else. In my household I am in charge of dirty dishes, and let me tell you it’s definitely not one of my favorite things to do. Although it’s something I nauseate about, I do get lots of ideas from it. As I scrub each dish clean, I use that time to think. I often go from subject to subject

rambling about any and everything, so many I tend to keep repeating my favorite one so that I don’t forget it.  Of course you don’t have to wash dishes, but find an activity that gets your mind off of writing, but also gets your mind moving.

Step 3: Get inspiration from someone

Writers block is hard to overcome but getting ideas from others is almost like an antidote. When you ask another individual for their opinion, you get a different perspective, whereas when you try to find ideas by yourself, you’re always going to see one perspective. You can ask them questions like “what would you be interested in reading about?”, “What topic should I write about?”, or even quick personal facts like “what is your favorite color?” or “what is your favorite food?” I often ask my peers some of these questions and they really do help.

Step 4: Step out of your comfort zone

If you typically go for opinionated pieces like me, maybe step out of your comfort zone and instead do an argumentative piece, or an entertainment piece. Doing this does not only switch up your flow, it also helps you become a more complex writer as you can now write about different topics.

Step 5: Change location

Referring back to step one “eliminate distractions” if you have trouble doing that you can eliminate yourself. Background noise is generally the source of distraction. If you prefer silence, find a nice quiet yet refreshing place to write. You should be comfortable as well, as a comfy environment is key, especially seating as you don’t want a backache. If you write in your own space, personalize it to you. Hang pictures up of family or friends, if you like to write with music, have a great speaker around ready to go.

In conclusion I can proudly say I overcame my writers block by writing about it, if that makes sense. I guess you can say I went along with step number two, without the dishes. I started to form ideas in my head but I kept saying to myself “I have writers block I can’t even think.” So boom I turned it into a great informative yet entertaining piece. I hope the next time you’re experiencing the very much hated feeling of “writers block” you can refer back to my piece and follow through with my steps, making the process go by faster.