Donald Trump; POTUS insensitive & hypocritical?

Najeria Wright, Staff Writer

Many men and women of different races and backgrounds fight for this country every day in battle; some even lose their lives for this country. Imagine being a wife carrying the child of a fighting soldier and getting a call from the US Army that they have found the scattered remains of your husband, the love of your life, the father of your children, and the king of your household. To make it worse, how would you feel having the POTUS tell you that your husband knew what he was getting into?

A few weeks ago, four Americans were killed in Niger by Islamist militants. The POTUS began getting criticized for not reaching out to the families of those slain. As an argument, Donald Trump tried to make himself seem better than Former President Barack Obama by accusing him of never reaching out to fallen soldiers families either. Trump finally reached out to the late Sgt. La David T. Johnson’s widowed wife with the least of pity. Not mentioning that Trump referred to the wife as “the woman” and not her name; he referred to Sgt. Johnson as “the guy”. Wouldn’t you want the president of the country your husband lost his life for, to know his name?

Florida Democratic Rep, Frederica Wilson confirms these details about the call. The call was on speaker throughout the conversation as Myeshia Johnson and Frederica Wilson were on the way to see her husband’s body. Wilson has received much slander for taking Johnson’s side in the matter. White House chief of staff, John Kelly, called Wilson an “empty barrel” and accused her of being boastful at her dedication of the FBI building two years ago. Government researchers review tapes of the dedication and came to the conclusion that Kelly was lying about everything and said Wilson was very happy to give everyone credit on everything they did for the FBI building.

Donald Trump disputes the accusation that he was even the slightest bit disrespectful. It was told that the only reason Trump said Sgt. Johnson’s name once was because he had the fallen soldiers report right in front of him. On October 23, 2017, he tweeted, “I had a very respectful conversation with the widow of Sgt. La David Johnson, and spoke his name from beginning, without hesitation!” Well someone is lying and I’m pretty sure Mrs. Johnson has no personal reason to accuse Trump of the insensitivity. Why is it that Trump doesn’t recall any of what Myeshia Johnson said? How would you feel if that was your loved one? Rest In Paradise, Sgt. La David Johnson.

Sources

Diamond, Jeremy. “Kelly Erroneously Claimed Wilson Took Credit for Building Funding.” CNN, Cable News Network, 20 Oct. 2017, www.cnn.com/2017/10/20/politics/frederica-wilson-john-kelly-video/index.html.    

Matthews, Dylan. “Trump Reportedly Told the Widow of a Slain Soldier, ‘He Knew What He Signed up for.’” Vox, Vox, 18 Oct. 2017, www.vox.com/2017/10/18/16494296/trump-mother-dead-soldier-signed-up-for-insensitive.                          

Vazquez, Maegan. “Trump Disputes Military Widow’s Account of Condolence Call.” CNN, Cable News Network, 23 Oct. 2017, www.cnn.com/2017/10/23/politics/gma-myeshia-johnson-trump/index.html.                          

1 Comment

One Response to “Donald Trump; POTUS insensitive & hypocritical?”

1. Ruth Frey on December 7th, 2017 9:28 am

I love the fact that you have cited the sources for the facts about which you have given your opinion!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Donald Trump; POTUS insensitive & hypocritical?

National News

Las Vegas shootings 8.1 million dollars donated

• National News

Ku Klux Klan Makes A Comeback

Local News

Will Anoki Ever Be a Mother?

National News

Can Toys “R” Us Protect Itself from Bankruptcy!?

• Opinion

Crazy World!

Local News

In Honor of Harriet Tubman

• Student Life

In the Sky

Advice Column

Milford Mill Q&A

• Local News

The National Great Blacks In Wax Museum

• Student Life

This Poem is for YOU