EQUAL ACCESS FOR DISABLED STUDENTS

Bria Bradshaw

Do you think it’s easy getting around Milford Mill’s hallways?  Imagine being disabled. I know you’re probably thinking, how am I going to get to class on time, or who’s going to help me get around? Well, recently I became a part of the disabled group. I banged up my right foot pretty bad, and I have blood clots on the top of my foot and a harsh hairline fracture? Anyway, it’s really hard for me to get around the building in a short amount of time.

I have access to the elevators, but there’s never anybody around to give me the elevator key. I think that disabled students such as myself should be able to have a key of their own to access the elevators and get to their destination on time. I think that some students who are disabled should have access to wheel chairs as well because of how far their classes are.  Teachers should release disabled students from class a little early so they don’t get trampled in the hallways or held up in hall traffic.  I now have first-hand experience of the difficulties of trying to navigate the hallways on crutches, and let me tell you, it’s not easy.

Students should be able to leave the class for those specific reasons. Sometimes students feel as though the teachers, and other students, don’t think about how they feel, maybe they should imagine themselves in that position. If you are disable and feel like Milford isn’t treating your right, please come to the library and leave your suggestions in the Milford Mill News Advice Box.